Friday 1 April 2016

Design Strategy Presentation

Design Strategy Presentation 

Slides & Supporting notes
Talking about where I position myself right now as a designer and under my studio Equip, focusing on Experimental, Contemporary distribution of type and image through the exploration of print and technology process's both in live briefs, competition briefs and self lead research projects that continue to inform me as a designer and for mine and Joes plans with Equip. 

Outlining plans from the start of the year to progress I have made, some of my plans have changed like my focus on branding is no longer relevant for where I place myself as a designer, focusing more on Equip and external print work and expanding knowledge with the Risograph process to feed into plans of starting a Print studio in time. 

This year has allowed me to engage with real work and some worthwhile events, the main ones been Hyperloop, giving us feedback from a large number of successful professionals and allowed me to develop myself as a creative not just within my practice but other aspects like how I work in a group and the delegation of tasks.  

Leeds Print Festival is allowing us to make big moves under Equip, they approached us to print Something Mores huge A1 posters for the event. Our first external print service job while also allowing us to put on our first Print Workshop within the festivals events and activities, another big move for our business plans. 
GFSmith invited us to enter there archive for the colorplan papers, this was an excellent opportunity too begin applying my approach too well recognised exhibitions to get my name out there. 
It was great to be part of Disposable Society, Goat Collective have done an amazing job at setting up all sorts of events over Leeds this year and it was good to be appart of the moves there making and create work with meaning for a worthwhile theme. 

Been doing a lot of competition briefs as it allowed me too apply my specific methodology too tailored briefs of my choice, this is the last time il be able to do these briefs with creative freedom and apply my learned knowledge over the 3 years too them.
I have plans for around 4 clients at current ranging from a mortgage advisor too a gym identity, these sort of jobs pay the bills and will fund Equip and the equipment needed to start it up. 

Interesting to see how some elements from level 4 have carried through too level 5 and carried on growing especially the branding made in level 4, although not delivered very well the idea of the physical to digital was the key focus. And is still my key focus and was in my COP essay.

In terms of external engagement my aims are to contact Risograph based agencies to feed into our plans for Equip and its focus on providing print services while getting a placement too fund Equip and learn the real world graphic design industry so we can find our feet when it comes to starting up properly so we know how to engage with clients professionally so we hit the ground running. 


I mentioned Equip a lot through the start of the year and within crits, but as a reminder this is a basic run down of what me and Joe have been doing and investigating and plan on turning into a business providing Graphic Design services, Print services and running workshops. 

As a basis of our branding for Equip we plan on making a physical representation of our manifesto through a series of wood illustrations that reference our practice, this will work as a visual promotion piece taking it to print fairs and our workshops showing the possibilities of the process and also showing what where all about. 

One of my main projects I want to undertake is the idea of a Digital Letterpress, tying in my COP research into a substantial research resolution, it relates perfect to Equips process so could again be used as an example of the progression and possibilities within print but its also the last opportunity I have to make this sort of work with such heavy research and contextualisation. 

Basic run down of my career plan;
Get a placement to learn the ropes of professional engagement with clients and doing real briefs and understanding the process involved
Run exhbition and Workshops in spare time to raise the presence of Equip
Keep pushing the experimental and print vibe, maybe within the LCA Residency if I dont get a placement with an end goal of going to Duke gaining more exposure and fully advancing as a multi disciplinary studio that offers Print services and Graphic Design services. 

Just like aesthetic research when creating design work, there are business inspirations. These key companies run creative business's that I aim too replicate within my own and Equips future.

No comments:

Post a Comment