Monday 1 February 2016

PPP Statement

PPP Statement

Me
A series of statement that will communicate myself in relation to my practice, good for a starting point when talking about myself in interviews and applying for jobs. 

Im a goal oriented person, when it comes to my daily routine I am quite purpose lead I feel having set targets even for the smallest things leads to a more organized and efficient use of time within a day. I like to be kept busy rather than idle to keep my mind active, an active mind is important for creativity and I feel organization and been driven is a key factor for creativity and staying motivated in general. Music and Automative hobbies are a key part of my life, with one or both been included in my free time and working day, having interests completley separate to graphic design is important for keeping the mind fresh and not oversaturated with design oriented thoughts allowing more outside influences to feed into my practice. 

When it comes to my design process I appreciate traditional print process's and design principles as a key method of communication and appreciate they are responsible for most if not all technological innovations seen in the creative industry today so like to incorporate a transition of both the traditional and contemporary in my approaches focusing on typography, layout, and print outcomes. 

Work experience is important to gain an understanding of what goes on in a real graphic design studio, it will be the perfect chance for me to learn how to apply everything I have learnt over the past 3 years and begin to feed in my focused design process into a real world environment. Theres lots of professional elements within a work placement that I need to learn, legal aspects, preparing work for print, communicating with clients for example and all these will be important things to know for when it comes to setting up Equip. 

Working collaboratively is one of the most important factors as a designer, within a studio setting I can work on delegated task that all add up too the completion of a substantial project, but I can also delegate these tasks and organize group responsibilities for collaborative projects. One example of me delegating and completing set task's has come from the running of a charity event and the completion of production of promo and sale materials for the event. Completing a student campaign for GAP is an example of splitting up tasks to do with design and production implementing many process's like digital print and laser cutting revolving around an agreed concept that implemented mine and another creatives refined ideas. 

Communication and dialogue is important when contacting clients as well as pitching ideas to peers, I have experience in presenting final outcomes in clear and concise ways both physically and digitally giving a full understanding and run down of the brief and outcome that explains itself when presented physically to a client but also allows me to expand on important outcomes when presenting the work as a pitch. Face to face meetings and email conversations again are an expansion of physical and digital dialogues, I have dully utilized both methods within a number of projects and feel its important to have at least a few 1 - 1 meetings with clients at important stages of the process so each party fully understands each other. 

Equip
A series of statement's that talks about future plans for Equip. A studio myself and Joe L have started.

Equip is a design studio run by myself and Joe Lindley and our process focuses on taking advantage of key traditional process's alongside developing technologies to merge together tradition and contemporary practices. This process works by utilising our matching and contrasting approach to typographic, print and layout principles. 

Plans for the studio are to look into obtaining a risograph printer to create publications and prints alongside more commercial graphic design work. At current we have visited Footprint to discuss a possible exhibition and are planning on attending a number of risograph workshops run by Dizzy ink. 

Our process is very experimental, we set a strong concept but then experiment with print and materials and just see where the end result ends up. This idea of experimentation and allowing the process and materials to dictate the outcome relates well to both our dissertation outcomes.

Plans on providing a printing service for publication and prints through risograph would be one key focus but we would also promote ourselves been a studio with a risograph by creating a series of publication set around themes that would gain good exposure under both design and non design related themes (ie music, skating, car related etc)

In terms of networking we will push internet presence through a website, Instagram and Behance. Externally attending and exhibiting at print fairs and holding our own own print exhibitions will allow us to network with other creatives and become noticed by potential clients.  

No comments:

Post a Comment