Tuesday 13 May 2014

Secret 7 Submission

Secret 7 Submission

During the module 406 design practice the module gave us a lot of opportunities to produce work with a purpose, and work that can be put out into the graphic design world by submitting to the secret 7 competition giving us opportunity to appear in the charity exhibition at Mother in London. Unfortunately I didn't get in though. 

One of these briefs were the secret 7 brief were I created an album for Jake Buggs Strange creatures album.

Bellow are my final resolutions that I submitted. The idea behind the Duff can Cover was based on the visualisation of how Jakes passion for guitar was sparked by watching The Simpsons. The guitar string been wrapped around the can simulates a visual of the lyric "set me free" the guitar string is "trapping" the can. 

The idea of morphing the image of the can creates an abstract aesthetic that links with the track name "strange creatures" and the surreal feel I got from the lyrics. 

The halo cover was influenced by a youtube comment I found from a fan saying "the guitar sounds like an angel". I loved this quote so i decided to visualise it in a way that is easily linked back to angels, so a halo proved the best image to use to denote angels.  

The idea of the guitar string been wrapped round the halo again derives from the lyric "set me free", it simulates the halo been "trapped".

I morphed the halo to simulate & visualise an abstract aesthetic of the concept of a perspective been changed. This idea of a perspective been changed comes from the dark lyrics of nightmares and how it contrasts with the visuals of heaven. 

The production used in these compositions are influenced by Jakes stripped back style of music production. (simple and minimal layout compositions)
The analogue illustration techniques (Watercolour & fine liner) used are influenced by the traditional style of Jakes music and his style. 
The colour & tonal schemes in the Duff can composition connote the season autumn which reminds me off farming which reminds me of the country (Jakes country music style). They are also very rustic wich has obvious links with jakes rustic fashion influences. 

The halo image uses pale shades of blue with primary colour contrasting yellow, these 2 colours connote heaven to me, the blue simulates the sky which links in well with the idea that angels are from heaven and the halo is floating in the sky within the frame of a 7inch album cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment